The School Garden Network (SGN) is dedicated to promoting and supporting sustainable garden and nutrition-based learning programs in K-12 schools throughout Sonoma County. School gardens offer a unique, hands-on learning environment where children learn about nutrition, create life-long healthy habits, learn how to grow food, and connect with nature.
The School Garden Network is looking for an experienced, energetic and enthusiastic School Garden Project Manager (SGPM) to provide technical gardening support to select school gardens. SGPM will support schools in designing gardens which maximize potential for hands on nutrition education. SGPM will support garden coordinators in developing a robust and sustainable program. SGPM will plan and implement farm field trips for participating schools.
- Conduct regular site visits and provide ongoing mentoring to five selected school gardens annually
- Provide technical assistance with specialty crop planning
- Communicate and coordinate with garden coordinators, SGN Nutrition Educator and North Bay Community Alliance with Family Farmers’ (CAFF) “Harvest of the Month” staff.
- Support schools in long-term garden program planning, including building sustainable financial support and an educational program linked to CA educational standards.
- Plan and implement 10 farm field trips linked to CAFF’s Harvest of the Month program annually
- Help design and administer pre- and post surveys to aid in program evaluation
- Provide documentation on program planning and report weekly to program supervisor
- Provide written quarterly program reports to program supervisor
- Attend SGN Board meeting twice per year to report on program
- Attend occasional SGN fundraisers and meetings
- Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, the mission of School Garden Network
- Experience with school garden programs
- Basic gardening background in growing and harvesting seasonal, local vegetable/fruit crops
- Experience with irrigation design and installation
- Experience with educational program development linked to CA educational standards
- Excellent communication skills
- Organized self-starter with ability to work independently
This is a two-year, part-time, contractual position for 430 hours annually at $30/hour plus gas mileage.
To Apply: Send your resume, a cover letter, and a list of three professional references (preferably two of whom are current/former supervisors) to firstname.lastname@example.org. References should include their names, title, organization, professional relationship to you, email and phone number. Application deadline is 5:00 pm, April 15, 2016.