The School Garden Network of Sonoma County (SGN) is offering Garden-Based Education Grants of $5,000 each, to five schools for the 2017-2018 school year. The primary goal of the grant is to support instructional school gardens in Sonoma County by providing funds for a Garden Education Coordinator.
The grant package includes:
- Healthy Roots nutrition education and cooking classes
- Individualized support in garden design and program development by Project Manager
- Participation in 2 free farm field trips
- 5 Garden Coordinator Workshops facilitated by the SGN Program Director
Application and participation requirements:
- To encourage sustainability, schools must have an existing Garden Education Coordinator or Garden Teacher.
- Schools must also provide a 50% match of funds. This match can consist of but is not limited to in-kind sources, donations to the garden, and other grants received.
- Priority will be given to low-income schools with more than 60% of students participating in the free and reduced lunch program as well as schools participating in the Harvest of the Month program.
- Application must be emailed by 5:00 pm on March 31, 2017.
- Applicants will be notified of their status by April 17th, 2017.
- Contracts are due by May 1, 2017.
- Coordinator Orientation TBD, May, 2017
_____Principal’s signature of approval (Attachment 1)
_____One letter of support
- Fill out the Garden Based Education Mini-Grant Application (PDF) (WORD) and limit your responses to the spaces provided.
- Application must include the Principal’s signature of approval (Attachment 1) and one letter of support.
Allowable expenses include a stipend for the Garden Education Coordinator and garden curriculum.
Email your completed application to Lauren Bowne at: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00 pm on March 31st.
Selection: Applications will be evaluated on the potential benefit to the school, the school’s commitment to garden-based education and nutrition, existing and planned infrastructure, the percentage of students on free and reduced lunch, the proposed budget, and participation in the Harvest of the Month program. As part of the selection process, SGN will conduct site visits to grant finalists.
Terms of Grant: Contract period is May 1, 2017 – June 7, 2018.
If selected, your school agrees to:
- Have a School Garden Education Coordinator in place for the 2017-2018 school year at time of grant application.
- The Garden Education Coordinator shall participate in five group mentoring workshops with the four other Garden Education Coordinators facilitated by SGN Project Manager. The mentoring workshops will address topics such as food preparation in the garden, vermiculture, what to plant and when, etc. Meetings will last between 1-1.5 hours.
- The Garden Education Coordinator shall participate in one SGN workshop or garden coordinator gathering in the 2017-2018 school year
- Coordinate with the SGN Nutrition Educator in a timely manner to schedule cooking demonstrations & nutrition classes in the garden.
- Submit a paragraph on your garden program, student quotes and photos with photo releases for the SGN website.
- Complete mid-year and final progress reports by due dates.
- Complete pre and post survey administered by SGN Project Manager.
Further questions may be directed to Lauren Bowne at email@example.com or call (707) 861-0593