Are you interested in learning about and supporting local school garden projects? Improving school food? Fostering garden-based learning? Connecting kids with the natural world and where food comes from? We are currently seeking passionate people who would like to join the School Garden Network of Sonoma County, now in our 10th year!
Most of SGN’s work is accomplished by committees that focus on one aspect of what SGN does. We can always use help! Consider joining one of the following committees to pursue your interests, use your skills and grow more school gardens.
If you are interested in joining a committee or want to learn more, contact Tracy Batchelder, Administrator, at email@example.com.
GOAL: To raise annual funds to support SGN projects such as: Salad Bar grants, Cooking From the Garden mini-grants, Garden-based Education grants, school garden Mentor program, workshops, resources, and marketing materials.
- Researches potential funding sources.
- Writes grant proposals.
- Develops relationships with community partners through presentations, meetings and other networking opportunities.
- Identifies and solicits individual donors and community or corporate sponsors.
- Works with Outreach committee to develop and maintain marketing materials.
- Organizes special events and fundraisers such as plant sales.
MARKETING AND OUTREACH COMMITTEE:
GOAL: To promote awareness and support of garden and nutrition-based learning programs in Sonoma County schools and provide a networking forum for those invested in school gardens to exchange information and resources.
- Develops and maintains outreach and marketing materials in print and online.
- Coordinates tabling at community events.
- Works with administrator to update and maintain website content.
- Manages media contacts; writes & distributes press releases.
- Maintains donor, membership and volunteer databases.
- Solicits and updates photos and program descriptions of school gardens in Sonoma County.
GOALS: 1) To empower and foster effective leadership for creating and sustaining diverse garden-based and nutrition education programs in Sonoma County schools and; 2) to promote healthy eating habits and facilitate connections between school communities and fresh local food through grants, research and education.
- Coordinates with Grants Administrator on: school outreach, selection committee activity, and mentor program oversight.
- Creates and revises documents and timelines as needed for grantmaking programs.
- Provides Fundraising Committee with testimonials, photos, and updates on grantee schools as needed.
- Evaluates grantee schools, and makes recommendations to the Board on continued funding.
- Receives and reviews mid year and final reports and other documents provided by mentors of grantee schools.
- Conducts research on opportunities, and best practices in the garden-based learning field. Makes recommendations to the Board.
WORKSHOPS AND RESOURCES COMMITTEE:
GOAL: To provide educational resources to the school garden community.
- Develops and coordinates educational workshops on topics such as creating & sustaining a school garden, cob oven building, seed saving, school yard habitats, linking curriculum to state standards, dyeing with plants, etc.
- Coordinates school garden tours and networking events.
- Donates free seeds, plants and other resources to school gardens.
- Updates Resources page on the website.