Old Adobe Elementary
Garden Assistant for Old Adobe Edible Garden
The Garden Assistant is a position that offers critical support to teachers and students to ensure that our school can maximize the educational potential of the garden. The Garden Assistant works with staff to plan lessons, gather materials, maintain the garden, and support instruction linked to the garden. The Garden Assistant will deliver weekly lessons in-class and out in the garden to all elementary students —combining environmental science education and nutrition education with hands-on experiences in the school garden (planting, tending, harvesting, and cooking).
The Garden Assistant also acts as a resource for teachers as they plan their own cross-curricular lessons in the outdoor classroom, and models skills that teachers need to feel comfortable using the garden to teach science standards.
- Facilitates garden science classes, incorporating both environmental science and nutrition education as they relate to the garden.
- Assists and helps in planning, with the classroom teacher, the students’ hands-on experiences in the garden (planting, tending, harvesting and cooking).
- Builds involvement in and commitment to the school garden within the school community, including teachers, administrators, students, parents and community volunteers.
- Builds capacity within the school by working with classroom teachers, and developing teacher skills in outdoor classroom management techniques and in gardening.
- Maintains the garden, coordinating volunteers and working with the community and the school district.
- Facilitate garden lessons and garden maintenance, working 6 hours per day
- Manage the school garden, plan and prepare for garden work activities, manage planting schedule, ensure availability of tools and other necessary materials
- Maintain open garden time schedule for teachers
- Attend occasional school wide staff meetings
- Coordinate community garden events to bring students, families, teachers and community members together
- Maintain school garden social media presence working with the school media person
- Supports preparation and set-up of seasonal weekly/bi-weekly school “farmer’s market”
- Help maintain outdoor kitchen and helps plan events with staff, students and/or parents
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of and/or interest in the following: environmental science, health and nutrition, food systems, food access, nutrition, botany, resource conservation, cooking, and social justice
- Familiarity and/or interest in the following : Permaculture, 4-season food production, California Native Plants and Ecology, Plant Propagation, Organic Pest Management, Orchard Management, and the Bio-intensive Method
- At least 2-3 years of facilitation or teaching experience with youth aged 5-12
- Ability to work with diverse populations including youth and adults
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including public speaking skills
- Ability to work independently and be flexible
How to apply:
Please send a email, with School Garden Assistant Educator in the subject line, to the following email addresses.
Beth Stoep – garden coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org (707-765-4301)
Jeff Williamson – principal, email@example.com (707-765-4301)
The position is now open. We anticipate filling the position in early August.