The Center for Climate Protection, a nonprofit organization based in Sonoma County, seeks a talented team player that is a quick learner, easily relates to and enjoys mentoring young people, is excited about helping implement the ECO2school program in Sonoma County high schools, and is passionate about climate protection.
The mission of the Center for Climate Protection is to inspire, align and mobilize action in response to the climate crisis. We work with business, government, youth and the broader community to advance practical, science-based solutions for significant greenhouse gas emission reductions.
About the ECO2school Program:
ECO2school is an award-winning student leadership program that encourages students to use alternative modes of transportation and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. This program is designed to integrate with existing high school academics to educate students about personal, community, and environmental health issues related to climate change. We provide assemblies, guest speakers, in-class education and service learning opportunities to support student leaders. By working both in the classroom and with clubs, ECO2school engages students in fun activities that are transformative for participants. Program benefits are not just academic. ECO2school also reduces congestion, saves costs on transportation as well as promotes healthy living, safe commutes, biking, transit ridership, and improved air quality for the entire community.
What the Project Coordinator does:
The Coordinator’s job is a full time position. In the 2015-16 school year ECO2school will operate in nine Sonoma County schools. The Coordinator will eventually be responsible for most of the Sonoma County in school program implementation and follow up.
Example activities include:
• Recruit and mentor student leaders to organize and implement the ECO2school program in schools throughout Sonoma County
• Make presentations to students and community organizations about climate, bicycle safety, and other topics related to active transportation
• Assist student leaders to organize and implement peer-to-peer education activities including bike rides and slow races
• Organize and facilitate youth leadership development trainings
• Develop and maintain a social media presence including a blog and website
• Shoot and edit videos of student activities and post to website
• Work with community leaders and businesses to further develop and support the ECO2school program
• Help with evaluation, data collection, and aggregation
• Collaborate with the Project Manager, other members of the CCP staff, staff from regional partners, vendors and other stakeholders
• Be open to doing new activities as the need arises
• Minimum two years relevant work experience including a proven track record of effective leadership, organizing, and communicating. We want proof that you can inspire, align, and mobilize others.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
• Experience working with young people
• Excellent references
Desired Skills and Qualities:
The position requires an entrepreneurial, personable, confident team member with a sense of humor who possesses the following skills and qualities:
• Works and relates well with young people, especially high school students
• Committed to and understands climate protection
• A good understanding of bicycling street skills and bike mechanics
• Superior oral and written communication skills to craft and articulate clear, concise messages
• Ability to inspire and persuade
• Very well organized and a strong team player
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
• Ability to use good judgment, take initiative, and make recommendations to resolve problems
• Ability to motivate people to take action including meeting deadlines
• Skilled in relationship building and networking
• Strong meeting facilitator
• Good listener and a quick learner
This job requires extensive travel throughout Sonoma County and sometimes the greater Bay Area. The successful applicant should own a car or have access to a means of transportation required for work. It would help if you either lived in Sonoma County or are willing to move to here.
Full time salary between $38,000 and $42,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid vacations, holidays, and health insurance. The person in this position will work from the office located in Santa Rosa, California. This position is dependent on grant funding. The Center for Climate Protection is an equal opportunity employer.
They encourage anyone interested in this position to submit an application as soon as possible. Please email your resume and a cover letter of no more than 250 words explaining your interest in the job and why you’re qualified, to Amy Jolly at email@example.com. Names and contact information for your last three supervisors or clients (including your current supervisor or client, if applicable) will be required upon request.
Please include “ECO2school Project Coordinator” in the subject line and let them know where you learned about the position.
The position is open until filled. They will start reviewing applications on September 11th. No phone calls, please.